Home Main • The Law and Single Mums

The Law and Single Mums


Every mother has parental responsibility for her kid and is expected to become a caring parent, in case of divorce or separation. While offering child care allows the mother to get maintenance support from the child’s biological father, her rights are significantly conditioned by her marital status. A married mother is more secure than an unmarried one especially when she has children, and her relationship tumbles down.

The Mum’s pride

If the child’s birth certificate features the mother’s name only, then, the mother has sole parental responsibility for the kid’s welfare. Remember, the father’s name can be included on the birth certificate if only he attends the registration. If your child’s father is included in your child’s birth certificate, then, he will share the parental responsibility for the child.

Paternity confirmation

When asked, most fathers confirm paternity. This enables you, the child’s mother, to apply for child support with ease regardless of the brevity of your relationship with the kid’s father. Always remember that established fatherhood acknowledges shared parental responsibility for the kid or children. In case your child’s father is non-resident and is less willing to offer child support, the Child Support Agency can track him down and force him to offer the required support.

The Mum’s rights

A single mum is entitled to claim support from the kid’s father on behalf of the kid. Note that you don’t need to have shared parental responsibility with him to ask for Child Support payments to be determined and collected from him. You and the child’s father can make a child support agreement privately or through the Child Support Agency.

Unless there is a shared parental responsibility agreement, a father can’t access his child without your consent. He can apply for a Contact Order especially if the communication between the two of you has deteriorated. In case the father wants to live with the child, he should apply for Residence Order. However, he may not get the resident order especially if your child is too young as this would mean a shared parental responsibility.

Support Rights

Just because your child’s father is offering support to your child, that doesn’t mean he must see the child. The funds sent should finance the child’s healthcare, education, shelter, food, and clothing. In case you already agreed with your child’s father the specific amount for the child support, it’s wise to present this agreement to court and get it legally accepted in case payment enforcement may be required in the future.


In Main